To insert an existing custom field into your magic document, you can follow these steps:
- Add your magic document
- In the Prepare tab, scroll to the line or area you would like to add your field, then click on Insert Magic Fields
- Search for the title of your existing custom field, then click on it to insert. That's all!
Note: You can refer to this link if you need help setting up a company-wide custom field.
If you need to add a document specific field for a Magic Doc in GoCo, follow these steps:
- Add your magic document.
- In the Prepare tab, click on the Insert Magic Fields > Add Document Field
3. In the pop up, fill out the following fields:
- Field Name (Required)
- Description (Optional)
- Field Type* (Required)
- Completed By (Required)
- Choose to make this Required or Optional
4. Once you complete the fields to create your custom field, click Save
5. Place your new custom field where needed in document - ta-da!
*For Field Type you can choose either a Text Field, Dropdown or Date Field if you upload a Word document. If you upload a PDF document you can choose Text Field, Dropdown, Multiple Choice, Date Field or Checkbox.
Wondering the difference between those fields?
- Text Field - gives space for the person who completes the field to type in the value
- Dropdown - creates a list of answers from which one can be selected
- Multiple Choice - creates list in which one (radio list) or more (checkbox list) can be selected
- Checkbox - allows for the completer to mark the field as checked or unchecked
- Date Field - allows for the admin or the employee to select a date from a calendar (hint: after clicking on the field you can adjust the format of the dates on the right side menu)
Note this key difference:
Document custom fields that you create within a document are not saved in the company profile or employee profile. These fields are not reportable.
Company custom fields are created on the company level and inserted into a document. These are saved in the company profile and employee profile. Additionally, these fields are reportable.
If you intend to report on a specific custom field, it is best to add it at the company level and insert it into your magic documents. Check out this article to learn more: How Do I Create a Custom Field
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions!