To make changes to certain benefits mid-year, most carriers require you to provide a qualifying life event reason such as "I had a baby", or "I got married".
There are 4 main categories of qualifying life events.
I had a baby or adopted a child
If you had a baby or adopted a child you're typically eligible to add that child to your insurance coverage. Most carriers will require that you add the child within 30 days of birth or adoption so be sure to login to GoCo and add your dependent to coverage as soon as possible. See: How do I add a dependent to my current benefits?
I got married, or had a divorce
I moved / change my address
If your address, zip code or state has changed, you may qualify to change your current plan to ensure you are still covered in your new region. Be sure to do this within 30 days of your address change to ensure the carrier will approve your change request. See: How do I change my address?
Losing health coverage
If you (or a dependent) loses your health coverage, you can request to enroll in your employer's insurance policy. Some examples of how you or a dependent could lose coverage are:
- Losing existing health coverage, including job-based, individual, and student plans
- Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP
- Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan
Dependent turning 26 and losing coverage
A child dependent may be
Changes in household
- Getting married or divorced
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Death in the family
Changes in residence
- Moving to a different ZIP code or county
- A student moving to or from the place they attend school
- A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing
Other qualifying events
- Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for
- Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration (jail or prison)
- AmeriCorps members starting or ending their service
If you have additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.